Along side the Ignite 2016 conference, Microsoft announced some changes to the Microsoft Certified Professional program. These changes outlined 5 new MCSE and MCSD certifications, along with MCSA certifications to go along with them. One of these new MCSD certifications is the new MCSD: App Builder certification. This certification requires 3 exam to be passed to earn, and it also will get you an MCSA certification on your way to earning the full MCSD: App Builder certification. This post gives a brief explanation on the exam that are required and / or qualify for the MCSD: App Builder, as well as the MCSA certifications you can earn on your way to obtaining the full MCSD! Happy studying!
EXAM IS RETIRED: This exam is retired June 30, 2019.
On the path to earning the MCSD: App Builder certification an MCSA (Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate) certification will first be earned. It’s really good to have a milestone along the way, instead of having to pass a ton of exams before claiming any single certification title / credential. Additionally, instead of just a single MCSA to earn on the path to MCSD: App Builder, there are 2 tracks to choose from based on your unique combination of expertise and interests.
On the path to earning the MCSD: App Builder certification an MCSA certification will first be earned.
The list of both MCSA certifications and their required exams are as follows:
- MCSA: Web Applications – pass both of the following exams:
- 70-486: Developing ASP.NET MVC Web Applications
- MCSA: Universal Windows Platform – pass both of the following exams:
- 70-483: Programming in C#
- 70-357: Developing Mobile Apps
As you can see the MCSA foundations for the new MCSD: App Builder certification require you to pass 2 exams. While not an extensive set of choices, the tracks to pick are either Web Application development or UWP (Universal Windows Platform) App development.
MCSD: App Builder
Once a qualifying MCSA certification (as listed above) is earned, the next path is to pass only 1 more exam to earn the full MCSD: App Builder certification! And, the best part is that you get to choose from a fairly long list of exams to make that happen.
Here’s the current list of Elective exams that can be taken to build on an MCSA to earn the new MCSD: App Builder certification:
- 70-532: Developing Microsoft Azure Solutions
- 70-487: Developing Microsoft Azure and Web Services
- 70-488: Developing Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013 Core Solutions
- 70-489: Developing Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013 Advanced Solutions
- 70-354: Universal Windows Platform – App Architecture and UX/UI
- 70-355: Universal Windows Platform – App Data, Services, and Coding Patterns
- 70-496: Administering Microsoft Visual Studio Team Foundation Server
- 70-497: Software Testing with Visual Studio
- 70-498: Delivering Continuous Value with Visual Studio Application Lifecycle Management
Regardless of the MCSA track you choose to start with (Web Apps or UWP Apps) you can continue on with earning the MCSD: App Builder with an exam in that topic area, or any of the other elective exam options.