Are you having difficulty keeping up to date on all the frequent changes and updates in the Microsoft Azure space? Then the Build Azure Weekly has the solution you’re looking for. Build Azure Weekly is a weekly blog post that includes all the latest Microsoft Azure Service Updates from the week in addition to links to many other blog articles, podcasts and videos from all over the Internet.
If you want to receive these in your email, then don’t forget to Subscribe!
Here’s a list of the Microsoft Azure Service Updates from over the past week:
Sponsor – Datadog
With Datadog, you can see all your data in one place. Servers, clouds, apps, and more. Metrics, alerts, usage.
Here are some of the most notable links from the week:
- Introducing the DTU Calculator Command Line Utility by Justin Henriksen
- Azure QuickStart Templates for Azure Government by Ken R Ward
- 10 Security Issues You Can Fix with Azure Security Center by Thomas W Shinder
- Cummins Power Generation keeps the lights on with Azure IoT Suite by Jerry Lee
- Announcing Azure DevTest Labs support for creating environment with ARM templates by Xiaoying Guo
- NoSQL .NET Core development using an local Azure DocumentDB Emulator by Scott Hanselman
Here’s a collection of some of the most note worthy blog articles posted over the past week:
- Static Website Hosting in Azure Storage by Chris Pietschmann
- Azure App Service is really 2 services, not 4 by Chris Pietschmann
- An Introduction to Azure Functions by Christian Reddington
- Reuse your C# Script (csx) code in multiple Azure Functions by Tobias Zimmergren
- Use Azure Functions to run WordPress Cron by mksunitha
- Getting the instance id of a running Azure Function with ExecutionContext.InvocationId by Tobias Zimmergren
- Smallest Azure Stack PoC Box w/o Hacking the Code by Larry Zhang
- London’s Metropolitan Police Service starts testing body cameras connected to Microsoft Azure by Sean Chan
- Live, online, step-by-step guidance from Cortana Intelligence Suite experts by Matthew Calder
- Running Azure Functions Locally with the CLI and VS Code by Donna Malayeri
- App Service Continuous Delivery Preview by Byron Tardif
- Help us shape Azure Storage Client Libraries and Tools by Sercan Guler
- Integrated Vulnerability Assessment with Azure Security Center by Yair Tor
- How I tested debugged my chatbot that I created using the Bot Services on Azure by benjaminperkins
- Auto shutdown Azure virtual machines by Armin Reiter
- ARM template outputs for Azure SQL Database by Orsolya Gal
- Azure samples for Azure AD .Net WebApi using Azure AD “on-behalf of token” to connect to SQL DB and SQL DW by Mirek H Sztajno
- Azure Mobile Apps for Apache Cordova reaches GA by Adrian Hall
- Announcing general availability of preview features and new APIs in Azure Search by Liam Cavanagh
- Cognitive Toolkit Helps Win 2016 CIF International Time Series Competition by Slawek Smyl
- Announcing StorSimple Data Transformation preview by Vivek Darera
- Introducing: Time picker in Application Insights Analytics by Noa Kuperberg
- Investigating Suspicious Activity in a Hybrid Cloud with OMS Security by Yuri Diogenes
- Creating a Linux VM on Azure with Multiple NIC’s using PowerShell by Shahid Aziz
- Azure Monitoring – SIEM integration by Vincent-Philippe Lauzon
- BizTalk Server 2016 now generally available! by BizTalk Team
- SYSK 398: How to deploy .dacpac to SQL Azure from Azure block blob by irenake
- Azure Content Spotlight – Microservices with Azure Service Fabric by chilberto
- Managing StorSimple virtual arrays in the new Azure portal by Manu Aery
- Digital Transformation with SAP HANA on Azure Large Instances by Ashvin Sanghvi
- Use Visual Studio Team Services As A Continuous Intergration Platform for GitHub by Davide Benvegnu
- Deep Learning Made Easy in Azure by Anusua Trivedi and Jamie Olson
- Azure Site Recovery now supports Windows Server 2016 by Rajani Janaki Ram
- Microsoft Azure Storage Explorer: November update and summer recap by Cristy Gonzalez
- Enabling Preview Features in Power BI Desktop by Samuel Lester
- Azure Management Certificates and Publishing Setting file with CSP Subscriptions by Leonardo Villar
- Creating my first ChatBot using Microsoft Cognitive Services and Python by Lee Stott
- Introducing Python SDKs for Data Lake Store & Analytics by Saveen Reddy
- Application Insights Diagnostics Preview by Dan Taylor
- Azure Application Insights – behind the scenes by Tsuyoshi Matsuzaki
- Azure Automation with ARM and Azure Deploy – build the UI by Wriju Ghosh
- Auto Shutdown Test VM by Wriju Ghosh
- Azure Virtual Machine Auto Shutdown saves money by Wriju Ghosh
- Installing R package in Azure Machine Learning by Gaurav Agarwal
- Controlling how dates are displayed in a PowerApps application. by Charles Sterling
- Forcing PowerApps to a specific Language by Charles Sterling
- Deploying Azure Functions Automatically by Adrian Hall
- Data science in 5 steps with Microsoft Azure Machine Learning by Lee Stott
- Top 14 Updates and New Technologies for Deploying SAP on Azure by Cameron
- Unable to connect to SQL Server AlwaysOn Listener on Azure due to misconfigured subnet mask by JackLi
- BCP in Azure Functions by Prashant Pratap
- Configure Azure and create dynamics 365 apps using OAuth, WebAPI by apurvhai
Here are links to some of the videos that have been posted over the past week:
- Introducing the Database Experimentation Assistant | Data Exposed by Scott Klein
- Posture Recognition with Kinect, Azure IoT, ML and WebVR by Greg Duncan
- Azure DocumentDB Elastic Scale – Partitioning via Azure Friday
- Azure Support Academy: How to troubleshoot connectivity issues in Azure SQL DB – Part 1 by Jose M Jurado
- Big Data explained, with Seth and Datameer’s Andrew Brust via Channel 9
- Azure DocumentDB Elastic Scale – Partitioning | Azure Friday via Azure Friday
- Episode 219: Visual Studio Mobile Center with Thomas Dohmke via Microsoft Azure Cloud Cover Show
Audio / Podcasts
To complete the collection of different mediums to allow you to consume your Azure news / info in any way you want, here’s a list of the podcasts released this week:
- Episode 155 – DevOps via The Azure Podcast
- Episode 168 | More News from Connect();, OpenAI Picks Azure and more Cloud News via Microsoft Cloud Show
- Building an Azure Search Engine with Anthony Brown via DotNetRocks!
General Cloud / Related
Here’s some noteworthy links about Cloud computing and other related topics that aren’t necessarily specific to Microsoft Azure:
- Calm, cruel and connected: November’s best and worst of IoT by Cate Lawrence
- The FPGA Accelerated Cloud Push Just Got Stronger by Nicole Hemsoth
- Integrated Marketplace in Visual Studio Code by formulahendry
- No VM Necessary: Run NodeJS via ‘Bash on Ubuntu on Windows’ via Adafruit
- Docker on a Synology NAS – Also running ASP.NET and .NET Core! by Scott Hanselman
- Nvidia CEO’s “Hyper-Moore’s Law” Vision for Future Supercomputers by Nicole Hemsoth
- Meet the two hackers behind October’s big DDoS attack by Matthew Pierson
- Amazon unveils Greengrass for AWS IoT developers by David Curry
- Never too early for a Christmas IoT by Alex Ellis
A few weeks back i posted about the Microsoft IoT Grove Kit that is aimed at making hardware prototyping with the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 easier for developers. Since it’s release it has been a bit difficult to get your hands on since it keeps selling out! The Microsoft IoT Grove Kit is a Microsoft branded package of basically what’s in the GrovePi+ Starter Kit, but with slightly different components. For example the GrovePi+ Starter Kit doesn’t come with the HDMI display, but it’s still the same GrovePi+ Plug-n-Play board that can be used with a Raspberry Pi and Windows 10 IoT Core.
If you can’t wait for the Microsoft IoT Grove Kit, then you should consider getting the GrovePi+ Starter Kit, you can purchase it here for approx. $90 USD, plus free shipping! This would also make a great holiday gift for your favorite Geek too!
Also, the kit doesn’t come with a Raspberry Pi, so you’ll want to purchase one of those too! You an purchase a Raspberry Pi 3 (the latest version!) here for approx. $35, plus free shipping!
The types of feedback I’m looking for are:
- What do you like?
- What do you dislike?
- What would you change?
- What would you add?
Please feel free to reach out and let me know your feedback on the Build Azure Weekly series. I post this weekly post as a service to others and really want to make it the best it can be.
Alternatively, you can join the Build Azure Slack Group as well.