Over the last couple years Microsoft has been working to make FreeBSD a first class VM guest on Hyper-V. One of the primary reasons to work on this effort was to be able to enable FreeBSD VMs to run in Microsoft Azure. The day has finally come, and FreeBSD is available in the Azure Marketplace to run in Azure.
To find FreeBSD 10.3 in the Azure Marketplace just follow the below steps:
- Navigate to the Azure Portal
- Click on the “New” plus sign button on the top left of the Azure Portal
- Simply type “FreeBSD” into the search box, and “FreeBSD” will be an auto suggested option
- Upon hitting Enter a list of results will display showing “FreeBSD 10.3”
- Click on “FreeBSD 10.3” in the list to bring up the information about it
- Lastly, click “Create” and follow the prompts to setup, configure and create a FreeBSD 10.3 VM in Azure!