The AZ-203 Developing Solutions for Microsoft Azure certification exam tests and validates your expertise as an Azure Developer. This exam tests your expertise across all phases of the Microsoft Azure development process; from solution design, to development and deployment, to testing and maintenance.
NOTE: The AZ-204 Developing Solutions for Microsoft Azure certification exam was announced by Microsoft, in early 2020, to be replacing the AZ-203 exam. The AZ-204 exam is expected to be available in February 2020, with a 90-day phased rollout where both AZ-203 and AZ-204 exams will be available. After this phased roll-out, the AZ-203 exam will retired leaving only the AZ-204 exam to be available for earning the Microsoft Certified: Azure Developer Associate certification.
The AZ-203 exam was originally rolled out in 2018 as a replacement for the AZ-200 + AZ-201 or AZ-202 exams for earning the Microsoft Certified: Azure Developer Associate certification. This was a move to simplify the process to earning this certifications based on feedback from those who have taken the exams while they were in a “Beta” state. Thanks to those early certification achievers, we all have a simplified process to follow now.
AZ-203 Certification Target Audience
The AZ-203 Developing Solutions for Microsoft Azure certification exam is geared towards Azure Developers who design and build cloud solutions; like applications and services. Candidates for this exam regularly participate in all phases of the software development process, from solution design, to development and deployment, to testing and maintenance. Candidates will partner with Cloud Solution Architects, Azure DBAs, Azure Administrators, and Clients to design and build solutions.
AZ-203 Exam Prep Session from Microsoft Ignite 2019
Are you looking to become an Azure certified developer? Azure Developers design and build cloud solutions like web and mobile apps, and they participate in all phases of development, from solution design, to development and deployment, to testing and maintenance. Attend this session to learn which exam objectives you should be studying, and get practical tips on how to prepare for this prestigious certification.
AZ-203 Objective Domains
Here’s a very high level list of the skills and objectives measured on the AZ-203 Developing Solutions for Microsoft Azure certification exam. The percentages next to each objective area represents the number of questions in that objective area on the exam.
Develop Azure Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) Compute Solutions (10-15%)
- Implement solutions that use virtual machines (VM)
- Provision VMs
- Create ARM templates
- Configure Azure Disk Encryption for VMs
- Implement batch jobs by using Azure Batch Services
- Manage batch jobs by using Batch Service API
- Run a batch job by using Azure CLI, Azure portal, and other tools
- Write code to run an Azure Batch Services batch job
- Create containerized solutions
- Create an Azure Managed Kubernetes Service (AKS) cluster
- Create container images for solutions
- Publish an image to the Azure Container Registry
- Run containers by using Azure Container Instance or AKS
Develop Azure Platform as a Service (PaaS) Compute Solutions (20-25%)
- Create Azure App Service Web Apps
- Create an Azure App Service Web App
- Create an Azure App Service background task by using WebJobs
- Enable diagnostics logging
- Create Azure App Service mobile apps
- Add push notifications for mobile apps
- Enable offline sync for mobile app
- Implement a remote instrumentation strategy for mobile devices
- Create Azure App Service API apps
- Create an Azure App Service API app
- Create documentation for the API by using open source and other tools
- Implement Azure functions
- Implement input and output bindings for a function
- Implement function triggers by using data operations, timers, and webhooks
- Implement Azure Durable Functions
- Create Azure Function apps by using Visual Studio
Develop for Azure Storage (15-20%)
- Develop solutions that use storage tables
- Design and implement policies for tables
- Query table storage by using code
- Implement partitioning schemes
- Develop solutions that use Cosmos DB storage
- Create, read, update, and delete data by using appropriate APIs
- Implement partitioning schemes
- Set the appropriate consistency level for operations
- Develop solutions that use a relational database
- Provision and configure relational databases
- Configure elastic pools for Azure SQL Database
- Create, read, update, and delete data tables by using code
- Develop solutions that use blob storage
- Move items in Blob storage between storage accounts or containers
- Set and retrieve properties and metadata
- Implement blob leasing
- Implement data archiving and retention
Implement Azure Security (10-15%)
- Implement authentication
- Implement authentication by using certificates, forms-based authentication, or tokens
- Implement multi-factor or Windows authentication by using Azure AD
- Implement OAuth2 authentication
- Implement Managed Service Identity (MSI)/Service Principal authentication
- Implement access control
- Implement CBAC (Claims-Based Access Control) authorization
- Implement RBAC (Role-Based Access Control) authorization
- Create shared access signatures
- Implement secure data solutions
- Encrypt and decrypt data at rest and in transit
- Create, read, update, and delete keys, secrets, and certificates by using the KeyVault API
Monitor, Troubleshoot, and Optimize Azure Solutions (15-20%)
- Develop code to support scalability of apps and services
- Implement autoscaling rules and patterns
- Implement code that handles transient faults
- Integrate caching and content delivery within solutions
- Store and retrieve data in Azure Redis cache
- Develop code to implement CDN’s in solutions
- Invalidate cache content (CDN or Redis)
- Instrument solutions to support monitoring and logging
- Configure instrumentation in an app or service by using Application Insights
- Analyze and troubleshoot solutions by using Azure Monitor
- Implement Application Insights Web Test and Alerts
Connect to and Consume Azure Services and Third-party Services (20-25%)
- Develop an App Service Logic App
- Create a Logic App
- Create a custom connector for Logic Apps
- Create a custom template for Logic Apps
- Integrate Azure Search within solutions
- Create an Azure Search index
- Import searchable data
- Query the Azure Search index
- Establish API Gateways
- Create an APIM instance
- Configure authentication for APIs
- Define policies for APIs
- Develop event-based solutions
- Implement solutions that use Azure Event Grid
- Implement solutions that use Azure Notification Hubs
- Implement solutions that use Azure Event Hub
- Develop message-based solutions
- Implement solutions that use Azure Service Bus
- Implement solutions that use Azure Queue Storage queues
To view the full list of exam objectives, and to find information on scheduling to take the exam, please reference the official AZ-203 exam page.
Microsoft Certified: Azure Developer Associate
Once a candidate passes the AZ-203 Developing Solutions for Microsoft Azure certification exam they will earn the Microsoft Certified: Azure Developer Associate certification.
The Microsoft Certified: Azure Developer Associate is part of a job-role based restructuring of the Microsoft certifications. This particular certification is geared towards candidates who are Azure Developers in their normal job in designing and building cloud-based software solutions utilizing the Microsoft Azure cloud platform.
Take Azure Fundamentals AZ-900 Exam First
The AZ-203 Developing Solutions for Microsoft Azure certification exam does not have any prerequisites to take. However, if candidates are new to Microsoft Azure development, then they may want to take the AZ-900 Microsoft Azure Fundamentals certification exam first. This will validate their knowledge and understanding of the fundamentals of Microsoft Azure.
If candidates are new to the cloud, or to Microsoft Azure, then the AZ-900 Azure Fundamentals could be a good place to start.
What’s Next? The Microsoft Certified: Azure DevOps Engineer Expert!
Once a candidate has already earned the Microsoft Certified: Azure Developer Associate certification they can take another exam to upgrade to the Microsoft Certified: Azure DevOps Engineer Expert certification. The DevOps Engineer Expert certification is earned on top of the Azure Developer Associate by taking and passing the additional AZ-400 Microsoft Azure DevOps Solutions certification exam.
Transition from AZ-200 + AZ-201 Exams to Single AZ-203 Exam
In early stages of the Microsoft Certified: Azure Developer Associate certification, Microsoft Learning received a lot of feedback about the new “Beta” exams. Based on this feedback they decided to combine the AZ-200 and AZ-201 certification exams into a single AZ-203 Developing Solutions for Microsoft Azure certification exam.
The combined AZ-203 Developing Solutions for Microsoft Azure certification exam is not merely a merging of the full AZ-200 and AZ-201 certification exams. The AZ-203 exam pulls in approximately 70% of its objectives from the AZ-200 exam, and approximately 30% of its objectives from the AZ-201 exam.
As a result of the transition, the AZ-200 and AZ-201 certification exams are now retired (as of December 27, 2018), and are no longer able to be scheduled or taken. Additionally, the Transition exam AZ-202 is also retired as the single AZ-203 exam is the singular path to earning the Microsoft Certified: Azure Developer Associate certification.
Anyone who has previously taken the AZ-200, AZ-201, or AZ-202 exams when they were in “Beta”, will be receiving communication from Microsoft as to whether they passed sufficiently to earn the certification, or if they will need to take the new AZ-203 certification exam. For those early achievers, this may be a bit frustrating, but this change will simplify the certification process for this certification, and is a good change to be made.