Many of the newer certification exams from Microsoft target Azure and Public Cloud technologies. The Monitoring and Operating a Private Cloud (70-246) certification exam is a little different since it will test expertise in monitoring and operating Private Cloud environments using Windows Server and Microsoft System Center 2012.
Retired Exam: This exam is being retired December 31, 2017.
Certification Target Audience
The focus on the Monitoring and Operating a Private Cloud (70-246) certification exam is centered around Microsoft System Center. The exam is designed to target candidates who have experience setting up security, high-availability, fault tolerance, and networking of enterprise environments using Windows Server, and System Center 2012.
Here is a high level list of the skills and objectives measured on the Monitoring and Operating a Private Cloud (70-246) exam. The percentages next to each of the objectives represent the percentage of the exam questions that will be focus on that specific objective.
- Configure data center process automation (15-20%)
- Implement workflows
- Implement service offerings
- Deploy resource monitoring (20-25%)
- Deploy end-to-end monitoring
- Configure end-to-end monitoring
- Create monitoring reports and dashboards
- Monitor resources (20-25%)
- Monitor network devices
- Monitor servers
- Monitor the virtualization layer
- Monitor application health
- Configure and maintain service management (15-20%)
- Implement service level agreements
- Manage problems and incidents
- Manage cloud resources
- Manage configuration and protection (20-25%)
- Manage compliance and configuration
- Manage updates
- Implement backup and recovery
When studying for this exam, you’ll certainly want to look at the official exam page from Microsoft for the full list of exam objectives covered. You’ll need to study each and every one of the objectives measured on the exam before attempting to take it.
There are a few training resources (paid and free) for preparing for the Monitoring and Operating a Private Cloud (70-246) certification exam. Below is a list of a few of these resources:
Practice Test / Exam
Prepare for Microsoft Exam 70-246–and help demonstrate your real-world mastery of monitoring and operating a private cloud based on Microsoft System Center 2012 R2. Designed for experienced IT professionals ready to advance their status, Exam Ref focuses on the critical-thinking and decision-making acumen needed for success at the MCSE level.