Do you find it difficult to keep up-to-date on the frequent updates and changes in the Microsoft Azure cloud? If so, Build Azure Weekly is the solution you’ve been looking for! Build Azure Weekly is a weekly newsletter that includes all the latest Microsoft Azure Service Updates from the week in addition to links to many other blog articles, podcasts and videos from all over the Internet.
If you want to receive the newsletter in your email every week, then you’ll absolutely want to Subscribe!
Here’s a list of the Microsoft Azure Service Updates from over the past week:
- DocumentDB customers, welcome to Azure Cosmos DB
- Azure DevTest Labs: Streamlined nested support for Resource Manager template deployment
- New Azure Data Catalog capabilities
- Azure Batch updates for May 2017
Here are some of the most notable links from the week:
- Sneak Peek – PowerShell in Azure Cloud Shell by Hemant Mahawar
- Free Azure SQL Database by Andres Nava
- We’re all about the quality: Azure achieves ISO 9001:2015 certification by Alice Rison
- Exploring the preconfigured browser-based Linux Cloud Shell built into the Azure Portal by Scott Hanselman
Opsgility is the leading Microsoft cloud technology trainer for developers and IT professionals, built around an esteemed network of industry experts and technical authors that includes Microsoft MVPs and Microsoft Insiders in more than 10 countries.
We provide live, instructor-led (onsite and virtual) courses as well as self-paced, online courses that go above and beyond simple videos or blog posts. Each course is designed to comprehensively guide the student through the subject by providing expert instructors, step-by-step hands-on labs, and knowledge measures to assess and ensure new skills are mastered.
Get started today with Microsoft Dev Essentials and get 3 months Free of Opsgility on-demand streaming service!
Here’s a collection of some of the most note worthy blog articles posted over the past week:
Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
- First steps with Bitnami WordPress in Azure VM by Edison Garcia
- Azure enables cutting edge Virtual Apps, Desktops and Workstations with NVIDIA GRID by Karan Batta
Platform as a Service (PaaS)
- Use SaaS patterns to accelerate SaaS app development on SQL Database by Bill Gibson
- Hybrid Connection Shows “Connected”, but Application Fails to Connect by Jim Cheshire
Serverless and Functions as a Service (FaaS)
- Install Azure CLI 2.0 on macOS by Chris Pietschmann
- Coming Soon – PowerShell in Azure Cloud Shell via PowerShell Team
- Azure CLI 2.0: Generate SAS Token for Blob in Azure Storage by Chris Pietschmann
Database / Big Data
- SQL Azure Blob Auditing Basic Power BI Dashboard by Cameron Battagler
- How to use Power BI alerts and Flow to send alerts to different groups based on the value of the alert by Charles Sterling
- Azure Cosmos DB for the rest of us: 5 part blog series by Jen Stirrup
- Provision HBase cluster with Azure Data Lake Store in a few easy steps by AshishThapliyal
- Azure Data Lake, and The Multi-Clustered Shared Storage Architecture by Sean_Mikha
Internet of Things (IoT)
- [Sample Of May. 27] How to get started for using Azure IoT Hub and DocumentDB by OneCode Team
- Connecting vehicles for the long haul with IoT by Jerry Lee
- IoT and Retail: Microsoft Geeks Out in a Hackfest with Blue Dynamic by Matthew Calder
- Microsoft and Cisco enable Azure IoT Suite to connect to Cisco Fog Deployments by Sam George
- Building IoT Solutions Hands-on Labs by Lee Stott
- Get Started with Azure IoT today by Xin_Shi
- Microsoft MakeCode.com Perfect for inspiration and starting a development journey by Lee Stott
Machine Learning / Artificial Intelligence
- Get Started with the Cortana Skills Kit by Greg Duncan
- “Serving AI with Data” – Recap of the Microsoft AI Immersion Workshop by Cortana Intelligence and ML Blog Team
- Deploy Cognitive Toolkit model to Azure Web Apps by Ilia Karmanov
- Neural networks and deep learning with Microsoft Azure GPU by Lee Stott
- Azure Craft A hack for kids and parents to learn AI Programming by Richard Conway
- Downloading an Azure blob storage container – Python by brijraj singh
- What’s brewing in Visual Studio Team Services: May 2017 Digest by Buck Hodges
- Priority Queues with Azure Service Bus by SoundCode
- Avoiding Code Pollution when using Application Insights SDK by Pam Lahoud
Certification / Learning
- Driving Learning as a Service through the open edX on Azure Platform by Carolyn Lesser
- Know it. Prove it. is over, but there are many more ways to pick up new skills via Microsoft Learning
- Microsoft Press Round Up for May, 2017 by spilks
- Deployment of Pre-Trained Models on Azure Container Services via Cortana Intelligence and ML Blog Team
- Kubernetes in action: How orchestration and containers can increase uptime and resiliency by Brendan Burns
- Keynote: Azure – The Intelligent Cloud | Techorama 2017 by Scott Guthrie
- Microsoft Technical Guru – April 2017 by Ken Cenerelli
- Opsgility Spotlight: Ram Barrola by Natalie Nelms
- New 400GB and 200GB caches available on Azure Analysis Services by Josh Caplan
- Customer story: BizTalk management through PowerApps via BizTalk Team
- Solution targeting in public preview by The Scripting Guys
- How Azure DevTest Labs makes nested ARM template deployments easier for testing environments by Xiaoying Guo
- Azure Analysis Services new modeling and tooling features by Christian Wade
- Deploy Azure Quickstarts to Azure Government by smrtRock
Here are links to some of the videos that have been posted over the past week:
- Episode 229: Azure Time Series Insights via Microsoft Azure Cloud Cover Show
- Azure Hybrid Networking 101 via Azure Friday
- Building Search Apps with Azure Search and AzSearch.js | Data Exposed by Scott Klein
- Tuesdays with Corey – Azure Cloud Shell demo (AzureCLI + Powershell) | Tuesdays With Corey via Channel 9
- KEYNOTE: Developing with the Cloud | DEVintersection 2017 Orlando by Scott Guthrie, Donovan Brown
Audio / Podcasts
To complete the collection of different mediums to allow you to consume your Azure news / info in any way you want, here’s a list of the podcasts released this week:
- Episode 180 – HPC/Batch & Bright Computing via The Azure Podcast
- Episode 196 | Azure and Office News and Recapping the SharePoint Virtual Summit via Microsoft Cloud Show
- Azure Functions with Yochay Kiriaty via .NET Rocks!
- Episode 179 – Dev Test Labs via The Azure Podcast
General Cloud / Related
Here’s some noteworthy links about Cloud computing and other related topics that aren’t necessarily specific to Microsoft Azure:
- Setup Raspberry Pi with Windows 10 IoT Core by Chris Pietschmann
- A new Powershell experience with Visual Studio Code by Christos Matskas
- Using IoT to solve the problems of the freight industry by Cate Lawrence
- Under The Hood Of Google’s TPU2 Machine Learning Clusters by Timothy Prickett Morgan
- FPGA Startup Gathers Funding Force for Merged Hyperscale Inference by Nicole Hemsoth
- Wisconsin creates committee on autonomous cars and connected vehicles by David Curry
- Google’s Firebase taps server less Cloud Functions by Paul Krill
The types of feedback I’m looking for are:
- What do you like?
- What do you dislike?
- What would you change?
- What would you add?
Please feel free to reach out and let me know your feedback on the Build Azure Weekly series. I post this weekly post as a service to others and really want to make it the best it can be.
Alternatively, you can join the Build Azure Slack Group as well.