Are you having difficulty keeping up to date on all the frequent changes and updates in the Microsoft Azure space? Then the Build Azure Weekly has the solution you’re looking for. Build Azure Weekly is a weekly blog post that includes all the latest Microsoft Azure Service Updates from the week in addition to links to many other blog articles, podcasts and videos from all over the Internet.
If you want to receive these in your email, then you’ll absolutely want to Subscribe!
Here’s a list of the Microsoft Azure Service Updates from over the past week:
Here are some of the most notable links from the week:
- Experiencing Azure Stack in Public Azure – by using Azure Stack policy module to an Azure Subscription’s Resource Group by gpillai
- Announcing the General Availability of Geographic Routing capability in Azure Traffic Manager by Dilip Lukose
- Data Simulator for Machine Learning by George Lordanescu
Opsgility is the leading Microsoft cloud technology trainer for developers and IT professionals, built around an esteemed network of industry experts and technical authors that includes Microsoft MVPs and Microsoft Insiders in more than 10 countries.
We provide live, instructor-led (onsite and virtual) courses as well as self-paced, online courses that go above and beyond simple videos or blog posts. Each course is designed to comprehensively guide the student through the subject by providing expert instructors, step-by-step hands-on labs, and knowledge measures to assess and ensure new skills are mastered.
Get started today with Microsoft Dev Essentials and get 3 months Free of Opsgility on-demand streaming service!
Here’s a collection of some of the most note worthy blog articles posted over the past week:
Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
- Building Microservices and container solutions using Azure Service Fabric and Azure Container Service by FitGeekGirl
- Introducing Backup Pre-Checks for Backup of Azure VMs by Saurabh Sensharma
- Announcing application consistent backup for Linux VMs using Azure Backup by Anurag Mehrotra
- Azure Site Recovery available in five new regions by Ashish Gangwar
- Azure Disk Encryption Preview by RalfWi
- How to build a High Available PaaS/IaaS platform on Microsoft Azure by Fabien Dibot
- High CPU in monitoringhost.exe on Azure Virtual Machines (be careful what you wish for) via The Scripting Guys
Platform as a Service (PaaS)
- Service Fabric Customer Profile: P2ware via Service Fabric Team
- Service Fabric .NET SDK goes open source via Service Fabric Team
- Announcing Azure Service Fabric 5.5 and SDK 2.5 by Vaclav Turecek
- Service Fabric stateful services by Andrei Dzimchuk
- Azure App Service (Web, API, Mobile, ASE) & Azure Functions SKU Comparison Matrix by Cory Fowler
- Setting up VNET integration in App Services using PowerShell by Dustin M
- Secure ASP.NET MVC multi-tenant Power BI Embedded hosted in an Azure WebApp by Frank Boucher
- Create WordPress using Web Apps on Linux by mksunitha
Functions as a Service (FaaS)
- Building Serverless applications with Azure Functions by FitGeekGirl
- Azure Functions improvements with WebPack by Christos Matskas
- •[Azure Functions] Intro to Serverless applications in Azure by Maheshk
Database / Big Data
- Getting Started with Azure Data Lake by Premier Developer
- Hive Metastore in HDInsight – Tips, Tricks & Best Practices by AshishThapliyal
- Azure SQL hybrid data movement by Xiaochen Wu
- Azure SQL Database – The Intelligent Cloud Database for App Developers by FitGeekGirl
- End-to-End Data Science Walkthrough with Spark 2.0 on Azure HDInsight Hadoop Clusters via Cortana Intelligence and Machine Learning Blog
- Learn about Azure Analysis Services at the Microsoft Data Insights Summit 2017 by Christian Wade
- 40TiB of advanced in-memory analytics with Azure and ActivePivot by Matthew Thomson
- Azure Data Factory offers SAP HANA and Business Warehouse data integration by Linda Wang
- Lesson Learned #24: How to read or import Azure SQL Auditing Blob file? by Jose M Jurado
- Azure SQL Data Warehouse now generally available in 29 regions worldwide by Prem Prakash
Internet of Things (IoT)
- Introduce a Web-based tool to use Azure IoT Hub by michaeljqzq
- Announcing online Azure IoT Hub Developer Tool – IoT DevTool (For IoT Hub Device Administrators) by Sneezry
- Event Hubs Archive, what’s the new naming convention by Shubha Vijayasarathy
- Partner perspectives: Predictive maintenance on the frontlines via Microsoft IoT
- Announcing R Tools 1.0 for Visual Studio 2015 via Cortana Intelligence and ML Blog Team
- How to deploy an ASP.NET Core 1.1 application to an Azure App Services Web App using Visual Studio 2017 by Benjamin Perkins
- Using F# to write serverless Azure Functions by Lee Stott
- Groups and Named values can now be managed from Azure Portal by Anton Babadjanov
- Analyze your data with Application Insights Analytics by Dan Hadari
- Azure AD B2C Access Tokens now in public preview by Parakh Jain
- Lighting up network innovation by Yousef Khalidi
- Azure Germay in CSP by Kirill Kotlyarenko
- Announcing Support for Multi-member Consortium Blockchain Networks on Azure by Christine Avanessians
- Activate Free Azure Cloud Credits – Visual Studio Dev Essentials by ChengBinTham
- Azure Resource Manager template reference now available by Tom FitzMacken
- Using Service Bus Client Performance Counters by John Taubensee
- Comparing Azure to AWS a quick guide to the key differences by Lee Stott
- PowerShell Authentication to Azure Resource Manager by martynas
Here are links to some of the videos that have been posted over the past week:
- Introduction to the Azure Portal by Chris Pietschmann
- Manage Azure Resource Policies in the Azure Portal by Chris Pietschmann
- Episode 225: Deep Learning with Microsoft Cognitive Toolkit (CNTK) via Microsoft Cloud Cover Show
- Cloud Gal: Oana Platon (Ep. 1) via Channel 9
- Telemetry for the Bot Framework via Channel 9
- Episode 464: Ed Charbeneau on Machine Learning and the Full Stack Developer via Channel 9
- An introduction to Azure Analysis Services on Microsoft Mechanics by Josh Caplan
Audio / Podcasts
To complete the collection of different mediums to allow you to consume your Azure news / info in any way you want, here’s a list of the podcasts released this week:
- Episode 185 | Richard diZerega on Developing for Microsoft Teams and Bot Framework via Microsoft Cloud Show
General Cloud / Related
Here’s some noteworthy links about Cloud computing and other related topics that aren’t necessarily specific to Microsoft Azure:
- Today’s Community Champ: Chris Pietschmann by Mary Jo Foley
The types of feedback I’m looking for are:
- What do you like?
- What do you dislike?
- What would you change?
- What would you add?
Please feel free to reach out and let me know your feedback on the Build Azure Weekly series. I post this weekly post as a service to others and really want to make it the best it can be.
Alternatively, you can join the Build Azure Slack Group as well.