Are you having difficulty keeping up to date on all the frequent changes and updates in the Microsoft Azure space? Then the Build Azure Weekly has the solution you’re looking for. Build Azure Weekly is a weekly blog post that includes all the latest Microsoft Azure Service Updates from the week in addition to links to many other blog articles, podcasts and videos from all over the Internet.
If you want to receive these in your email, then you’ll absolutely want to Subscribe!
Here’s a list of the Microsoft Azure Service Updates from over the past week:
New integrated portal for Azure Functions
- Azure SQL Data Warehouse: Support for Visual Studio Code
- Azure DevTest Labs: Managed Disks supported in all labs
Here are some of the most notable links from the week:
- Announcing Azure CLI Shell (Preview); more Azure CLI 2.0 commands now generally Available by Kamaljit Bath
- New integrated portal for Azure Functions by Donna Malayeri
- Microsoft to buy Kubernetes container-orchestration vendor Deis via ZDNet
Opsgility is the leading Microsoft cloud technology trainer for developers and IT professionals, built around an esteemed network of industry experts and technical authors that includes Microsoft MVPs and Microsoft Insiders in more than 10 countries.
We provide live, instructor-led (onsite and virtual) courses as well as self-paced, online courses that go above and beyond simple videos or blog posts. Each course is designed to comprehensively guide the student through the subject by providing expert instructors, step-by-step hands-on labs, and knowledge measures to assess and ensure new skills are mastered.
Get started today with Microsoft Dev Essentials and get 3 months Free of Opsgility on-demand streaming service!
Here’s a collection of some of the most note worthy blog articles posted over the past week:
Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
- Azure Active Directory – How to give a Registered Application an AD Directory Administrative Role by Nicholas Rogoff
- Azure AD, B2B, B2C, DS, B2x — Straining the Alphabet Soup by Andreas Helland
- Announcing General Availability of Europe-based Azure AD B2C directories by Gerardo Saca
- Hybrid Cloud just got easier: New Azure Migration resources and tools available by Mike Schutz
- Networking to and within the Azure Cloud, part 1 by Olivier Martin
- How to: Add SWAP to Linux VM’s on Azure by Marco A Bicca
- How to: Deploy a basic wordpress on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on Azure by Marco A Bicca
- Availability of migration of ExpressRoute for Classic to Resource Manager IaaS Migration by Kay Singh
- Enable the addition of multiple Nics to Azure VM from the GUI by k.moussa
- Accessing SSRS URL hosted on Azure VM over the Internet by Krishnakumar Rukmangathan
Platform as a Service (PaaS)
- Announcing Try App Service: API Apps by Alex Karcher
- Ruby on Rails on Azure App Service (Web Sites) with Linux (and Ubuntu on Windows 10) by Scott Hanselman
- How (I) configured an App Service Certificate for my Azure App Service by Benjamin Perkins
- Export an Azure App Service Certificate PFX PowerShell by Benjamin Perkins
- How to disable TLS 1.0 on an Azure App Service Web App by Benjamin Perkins
Functions as a Service (FaaS)
- Azure Functions Tools Roadmap by Andrew B Hall
- Visualise Azure Functions using a SiteExtension by Jordan Knight
- Monitor Azure Web Application backups with Azure Functions by Christos Matskas
- How to add assembly references to an Azure Function App by Benjamin Perkins
- Add Application Insights telemetry to your Azure Function (for TrackTrace and TrackException) by Gabe Shapiro
- Serverless custom Visual Studio gallery with Azure Functions by Daniel Cazzulino
- Azure Functions Access-Control-Allow-Credentials with CORS by Benjamin Perkins
Database / Big Data
- Microsoft R Server support for Rattle via mstips
- Using Flow and Power BI to track social listening through Twitter by Charles Sterling
- Azure SQL Database Auditing – Move from Azure Table Storage to Blob Storage by Roberto Cavalcanti
- Embarrassingly Parallel Image Classification, Using Cognitive Toolkit and TensorFlow on Azure HDInsight Spark by Mary Wahl, T.J. Hazen, Miruna Oprescu, Sudarshan Raghunathan
- Azure Data Factory March new features update by Eric Chen
- Power BI Desktop – Terms and Definitions by Samuel Lester
- Use H2O.ai on Azure HDInsight by Xiaoyong Zhu
- Introducing Microsoft R Server 9.1 Release by CarlNan
- Azure #DocumentDB Service Level Agreements by Arnaud Comet
Internet of Things (IoT)
- A “Happy Path” to learn IoT development on Azure by Zhidi Shang
- Microsoft Cognitive Services – Translation API by Admin Reiter
- Infuse some AI into your Azure apps at hands-on Seattle workshop via Microsoft Azure Blog
- Announcing Azure SDK for Node.js 2.0 preview by Matt Hernandez
- Deploying ARM Templates using Visual Studio Team Services by Jakob Ehn
- New MCSA: Data Science Certification from Microsoft by Chris Pietschmann
- New MCSA: BI Reporting Certification from Microsoft by Chris Pietschmann
- New MCSA: Big Data Engineering Certification from Microsoft by Chris Pietschmann
- New MCSA: Cloud Database Development Certification from Microsoft by Chris Pietschmann
- Answers to Your Questions about Retaking Exams, Recertification, and Renewing Your Certification by Liberty Munson
- Introducing the MCSA and MCSE for Microsoft Dynamics Fans! by Liberty Munson
- Azure Skills Initiative – Transform you Skills by Marnie Fulmer
- Deploying Docker EE on Azure & solving common issues by Ahmed Farag
- Faster and unrestricted power by Pivotal Cloud Foundry’s 1.10 now supports .NET by Cesar Torres
- Automated secure Service Fabric deployment with Azure Key Vault using JSON template and Powershell by martynas
- Get started tile now live on Azure Stack by Aditya Sharma
- Extract Azure ARM resource counts and quota information by James R Tabor
- Using SharePoint Online or OneDrive for Business to get out of the Power BI “Refresh Game” by Charles Sterling
- The network is a living organism by Yousef Khalidi
- Azure Gov March Meetup Replay: How to Apply Cognitive Services to Your Agency’s Mission by Karina Homme
- New search analytics for Azure Search by Berni Torres Garayar
- Azure Analysis Services now available in West India by Josh Caplan
- Integrating Application Insights into a modular CMS and a multi-tenant public SaaS by Sergey Kanzhelev
- Cloudera Enterprise Data hub now available on Azure Government Marketplace by Sarah Weldon
- Announcing public preview of Instance Metadata Service by Hariharan Jayaraman
- Part Two: Become Acquainted With PowerApps and Flow by Toni Pohl
- Use Azure Media Services with PowerApps by Karthik Bharathy
- Global customer access and additional services now available for Azure in India by Tom Keane
Here are links to some of the videos that have been posted over the past week:
- Episode 227: Team Data Science Process via Microsoft Azure Cloud Cover Show
- TWC9: Creators Updated Released, Learn What’s Next Event, Happy Path to Azure IoT, Git Pretty and more… | This Week On Channel 9 via Channel 9
- Azure Active Directory Identity Protection via Azure Friday
- Episode 21: Deploying Realm Object Server to an Azure Linux VM | The Xamarin Show by James Montemagno
- Intelligent Customer Care with Bots – Part 1: Introduction via Channel 9
- Intelligent Customer Care with Bots – Part 2: Building a bot via Channel 9
- Intelligent Customer Care with Bots – Part 3: Channels via Channel 9
- ntelligent Customer Care with Bots – Part 4: Cognitive Services via Channel 9
- Tuesdays with Cory: Azure Functions Proxies extravaganza | Tuesdays With Corey via Channel 9
Audio / Podcasts
To complete the collection of different mediums to allow you to consume your Azure news / info in any way you want, here’s a list of the podcasts released this week:
- Episode 174 – Azure Government Update via The Azure Podcast
- DevOps Pipelines with Donovan Brown via .NET Rocks!
- Episode 188 | SharePoint Groups, Sites and Microsoft Teams at the Austin Texas SPUG via Microsoft Cloud Show
General Cloud / Related
Here’s some noteworthy links about Cloud computing and other related topics that aren’t necessarily specific to Microsoft Azure:
- Setting up a Shiny Development Environment within Linux on Windows 10 by Scott Hanselman
- Running .NET Core Apps under Windows Subsystem for Linux (Bash for Windows) by Rick Strahl
- ARM Pioneer Sophie Wilson Also Thinks Moore’s Law Coming to an End by Jeffrey Burt
- IoT Environment Monitor Based on ESP8266 by Stephanie
- Less than a third of industrial decision-makers have an IoT strategy by David Curry
Do you have any suggestions or general feedback on the Build Azure Weekly blog series? Please contact me and send it on over! Or tweet it over to @BuildAzure.
The types of feedback I’m looking for are:
- What do you like?
- What do you dislike?
- What would you change?
- What would you add?
Please feel free to reach out and let me know your feedback on the Build Azure Weekly series. I post this weekly post as a service to others and really want to make it the best it can be.
Alternatively, you can join the Build Azure Slack Group as well.